What's in a name?

Thursday, August 09, 2007

My son is 2, right? Can someone please remind him that he is still a little boy?

About a month ago I heard Reagan call for me from his room after a nap. He said, "Come back, Mom." Who?? "Mom" is my mother, and she wasn't here. My name is "Mommy". He has done this several times. But it has gotten even worse! For the past two weeks he has been calling me "Mom" about 1/3 of the time that he calls for me. I try to remind him that my name is Mommy. I even joke and call him "Ray" right after he calls me "Mom". I think David was thinking that this was kind of funny until at dinner tonight Reagan called him "Dad". David immediately said, "My name is Daddy."

Don't get me wrong. I don't want him to be 45 years old and still calling me Mommy. But I think at 2 and even 3 and hey--even 21--I can still be Mommy. Well, ok, maybe not 21.

The one thing that even kind of helps me through this change is that my friend's daughter has also started calling her "mom". And she is exactly the same age as Reagan. I'm wondering if they had a little meeting about this name thing at our last playgroup. I can't even think of where Reagan would hear someone call their mother "mom".

I just hope this phase passes quickly. I don't want him to grow up so fast...I was fully expecting for us to be Mommy and Daddy for a few years.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Too funny Kelly! Jacob does the exact same thing! He really loves the movie Pinocchio and the other day he called to Joe "Father!" We laughed at first, but I hate that! We correct him, so we will see! It must be the age! Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

Noah does this too! It has to be the age. I would just about die if Joshua picked up this little habit though:P Have a great weekend!

emily said...

Yes, it is a sad day when your young child calls you MOM or Ms. Emily... I have explained to Aubrey MANY times that my name is Mommy and it is a special name just for her and Molly. Very sad day.