Potty Progress

Saturday, January 05, 2008


I really wasn't going to devote another post to our potty training until we had some serious news to shout from the rooftops, but alas--I have nothing else to blog about today since my life is totally consumed with tinkle and poop (our vocabulary in this house).

Last night Reagan got some tinkle in the potty! Most of it was in his big boy underwear, but some did make into the potty. We called my mom (Grandmother) and told her all about it. A few minutes later Reagan did it again! More tinkle in the potty. We were very, very proud of him.

Today I was looking forward to DAY 3 of our boot camp, as this seemed to be the magic day for Em's daughter (and another Mommy Nerd's daughter) months ago. According to these two moms Day 3 was still messy, but it may have been the last seriously messy day. And I thought between me and David being home it wouldn't be so bad.

Well, we promised Reagan a toy for tinkling on the potty, so we went to get that. (That is a whole 'nother blog in itself.) After that we went to drop something off at David's parent's house. We took the potty so we could play there for a bit. Then they invited us to lunch, so we went. We were gone from our house for about 3 hours...I felt like the DAY 3 was wasted since we were out and about. (I had also somehow taken the extra underwear out of my bag, so after Reagan had an accident he had to wear a Pull Up. Ugh!!!)

Here's the good news. Although we still had several accidents this evening after nap, Reagan POOPED on the potty this evening!!!! I won't go into detail, but he did not ask to sit and then poop. But poop made it into the potty!! We were all totally excited.

One of us (the one that is about 3 feet tall) was mostly excited because he got to spray the air freshener.

Tomorrow will be a challenge because, again, we won't be at home all day. We are going to go to church and then to lunch. But after talking to David about my "Em Pep Talk", I have accepted that there is no "wrong" or "right" way to potty train. We have taken bits of advice from friends and books and made our own system~~and not just to potty training. We have done this to our whole parenting system. So our "right" way is to stay home in underwear as much as we can. And when we have to go out he will wear underwear with a pull up over it. And we will continue to go to the potty while we're out and about every 1/2 hour to 1 hour. And it may take more than 3 days to fully train him, but we have accepted that this is our life for now.

And I'm good with it. :)

3 comments:

emily said...

It sounds like you guys are having some GREAT progress! I am very excited for all of you.

rebekca said...

YAY!

And where else could we discuss tinkle and poop other than the blog?

What color was it? I'M KIDDING!

Unknown said...

That is GREAT news!! I'm so happy that it is going well - seriously, it really is!