You just have to laugh

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

David came home early this evening, so we had a bit of time to visit before Reagan woke up from his nap. I decided to make dinner early so it would be ready when he got up. Right before it was ready I sent David into Reagan's room to do the dirty work~~wake Reagan up from his nap.

When you actually have to go into his bedroom to wake Reagan up, you really have no idea the outcome. I've never been to Vegas, but I have a feeling we have similar odds here at our house~~you never know if he's going to be happy or unhappy. And this isn't the standard mildly cranky unhappy. This is the type of unhappy where you would rather have needles stuck into your eyeballs rather than deal with Reagan's crankiness. Maybe I'll try to get that on video one day. That will really irk him off! (By the way, I'm not exactly sure where he gets this trait... ) *wink*

Ok. Back to this evening. I guess Reagan asked for some M&M's as soon as he opened his eyes, and from what happened next I assume David said "no". Holy moly!! For the next 20 minutes (which seemed like 2 hours) David and I had a boy in a full-on tantrum. I went right along making dinner while we tried to explain that he can have M&M's after dinner. We even put the bowl of M&M's on the table next to his corn dog so he could have them when he was finished.

But no. He wanted them in a bowl in the living room and no dinner. He was on the floor kicking and screaming (yes, that really happens for those of you who do not have a 3 year old). He was sobbing. He was gasping for air.

Meanwhile, David and I were having dinner. And we were trying to hold in our laughter.

I really feel badly that I was laughing at my son who was crying. But what else are we supposed to do? We believe in ignoring the tantrum so that he doesn't get attention for unacceptable behavior. So we just giggled.

Reagan finally got into his chair, but the tantrum continued. He just wanted to eat those M&M's in the living room!!

David and I got up from the table when we were finished and cleaned the kitchen. Reagan eventually calmed down and ate his dinner.

And he had some M&M's in the living room.

I don't know if David will ever come home early again...

2 comments:

Mommy said...

You mean to tell me that this could go on until my son is 3?!?!
Great job holding your ground, my husband would have given in!

Anonymous said...

:) Jeremy and I both giggled at this story. We have no idea what's coming, do we?