Pity Party for One, Please

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

I'm beat. I didn't even do anything today that makes it understandable for me to feel like I do. I just feel exhausted. My body aches, and I just feel blah.

I can make up reasons, though. I don't mean that I'm pretending that I did these things. But this is what may be leading to the exhaustion, although it just doesn't make sense that these activities (if you even want to call them that) would tire me so much.

  • Potty training. That is mentally and physically wearing me out.
  • The treadmill. I did walk today at the gym. But only for 30 minutes at a fat burning pace (meaning my heart rate wasn't up to the roof). And I did the arc trainer for 15 minutes. I thought that the workout would make me feel better and more energized. Today, not so much.
  • David's new job. Starting a new job is always hard in the beginning. But I'm being selfish about it. HE'S the one working all the freaking time right now, but here I am (at my pity party) resenting his new employer. David has been leaving the house about 30 to 45 minutes earlier and getting home about 30 minutes later than his previous job. And as soon as Reagan goes to bed (at about 10:30), David has to hop back onto his laptop and work until 2 or 3am. He did this on the weekend, too. I feel for him. But the selfish part of me misses our couple time in the evenings. And I'm all "poopy" about it. He says he's happy there, so I am happy, too. (But if these hours don't get better soon, I will no longer be happy.)
  • The house. Our house was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L and spotless on Christmas Eve. Ever since then I just can't seem to keep each room clean. The office looks like a tornado ripped through a computer parts warehouse and scattered boxes, hard drives, chips, gizmos, and thing-a-ma-bobs all about. Our office is also (mostly) a guest room. Hope no one just shows up on our doorstep needing a place to stay. Our bedroom is being over run with laundry. Our kitchen is the house's catch-all. And it has caught about everything that has passed through it. And our living room still has new toys from Christmas in it. Because they are "new" they are played with often. So they are hanging out in the living room for a bit longer. Nothing is really dirty, but the rooms are getting to be a bit cluttered. And I just miss December 24th when everything was in its own place~~even if it was just for about 3 hours. And this makes me tired just thinking about tackling this project.

I think I'm going to peel myself up off of this chair at the pity table and watch the Biggest Loser. That is such an inspiring show, and maybe it will make me feel better about everything and motivate me to (1) become a super potty trainer, (2) go to the gym again tomorrow, (3) get over myself and be a better wife, and (4) hire a maid.

Just kidding about the maid. I will get back to my cleaning schedule tomorrow. Wednesday is 'swiffer-the-house-day'.

5 comments:

rebekca said...

Oh, Kelly. I'm exhausted just reading what you're going through!

Girl. You need some rest. and a late night glass of wine.

Potty training is draining. And the treadmill sucks so much life out of people, that if and when they invent the "people" to replace us...they're hooking those suckers up to treadmills. Because we sweat life onto them. And all of our important thoughts like- why do people wear grey gym pants so we can see the crotch sweat?

sorry, got off on a tangent there.

And your husband's work, while I'm sure he is doing everything in his best interest for your family (GO DAVID!) will take a toll on you. So you need to request foot rubs.

Thats what I do, anyway. Somehow foot rubs make everything better. and you get to fall asleep while your feet are being rubbed.

B-O-N-U-S!!!

hang in there.

you always have tomorrow and the swiffer that will do absolutely nothing for your floors. I love (hate) floor day.

emily said...

1) Remember you are a GREAT wife and mother and loved so much by your family AND your friends
2) Remember to give your self a break and that the after Christmas Post Holiday Let Down is a SIGNIFICANT source of stress and blue moods.
3) Remember that the clutter is something that didn't take a day to get there and won't take a day to take away so make small steps and keep in your routines
4) Remember no one can be in a good mood all the time or else it wouldn't be fun.

You are doing great!

Mommy said...

I hear you about the clutter....all this new Christmas stuff hasn't found a home, yet! Picture this....we emptied the little furniture we had in our bedroom - our matress is in the living room - the antique dresser is in the living room - the laundry is PILED up in the basement - the misc crap is stacked in the guest room - and we are sleeping in the guest room. Add that to the usual clutter around the house - ITS A MESS!!
Take it one room at a time...thats my plan for Saturday (After the new furniture arrives!!

Karen S. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your house looked great when I was there Monday!! I know exactly how you feel I hate the clutter it seems to be never ending and it's so hard to know what to throw away!

As for your hubby working long hours, we are on the same boat here! I feel terrible for Jeremiah! Just like you said, he's the one putting in the hours but I am so worn out by these boys by the time he gets home! I want him to take over but he is in no position to do that...it is so easy to have a pity party for myself!
Hey, we should all have another girls night when Megan gets back from Disney!!!