It's beginning to look alot like WHAT??!!

Friday, November 16, 2007

Here in Texas our weather has been unusually warm. Not that autumn is chilly or anything (ever), but we have been wearing shorts and sweating for weeks now. The past two days have felt more like fall, but the temperatures are going to go back to the 80's this weekend.

That said, I think you'll understand why I just find it so hard to believe that Thanksgiving is next week! I feel like Reagan's birthday was just 2 weeks ago (Oct. 6th), so how can it possibly be the holiday season already??


Last week on my drive to Fredericksburg I went through the town of Marble Falls. MF already had their lamp post poinsettia decorations up AND lit up! I may have even said a choice word at the the sight of that. I mean, it was only November 9th! Two full weeks before that I was in a clothing store that was playing holiday music. (I feel bad for those employees. They are going to be sick and tired of "Jingle Bell Rock" by the time December finally gets here.)

I totally understand stores setting out their holiday decorations to sell because I'm sure many people, including myself, have a tradition of decorating their house for Christmas the days following Thanksgiving. What I don't understand is the stores (and cities, apparently) actually doing some decorating of their own two months before the holidays even arrive!! I think I'm going to sound like my parents and grandparents when I say this, but~~it seems like the holiday "stuff" comes our earlier and earlier every year.

Although I wasn't excited to see MF's poinsettia lights up last week, I think today I am more in the mood for it. I am looking forward to next weekend and putting up our Christmas tree and such. I am eager to see the joy and excitement in Reagan's eyes as we get all our decorations for the house up. And we're planning on purchasing more lights for the outside this year, too.

I just hope I don't have to wear shorts and a tank top to keep cool while doing so...

4 comments:

Megan said...

I am with you! I hate that Thanksgiving gets overlooked. I love eating with family, visiting, playing games, and stopping to be thankful for all the wonderful things we are blessed with before the craziness of Christmas begins.

We must stand our ground. No decorations or holiday music until AFTER Thanksgiving no matter how much our husbands ;) ask for it.

Unknown said...

The holidays do come sooner and sooner! I agree. While I enjoy the holidays as well it almost feels like they are trying to roll the last two BIG holidays in together anymore. Anyone else get stressed b/c of that? lol

rebekca said...

christmas.

just kidding. I know. I'm keeping my fall wreath for the doorfront and pumpkin out as long as I can.

But, I sure am looking forward to Christmas!

emily said...

I agree, no decorations until after Christmas, unless you bought one and didn't want to have to find a place in the attic for it and it is only one week until you are decrating anyway...

I was shocked and appalled at the grocery store having everything set up 2 days BEFORE Halloween. WRONG WRONG WRONG

And I still have 2 pumpkins and mums on my front porch, so HA to you retailers!