Before I Lose These Forever

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I blog to journal about our family. And to keep a sort of record of Reagan while he is growing up. This post is for me to look back on in 20 years and say, "Oh! I remember that! I'm so glad I wrote that down."

1. I am going to admit that I think my kid may be smart. I am very reluctant to say that he is smart, because I really don't know exactly what 3 1/2 year olds can do. Maybe when he is 8 I can say "yes, he's smart" or "no, he isn't" because I do know what 8 year olds are capable of doing--that's my job.

So here's the story. Reagan has several stories memorized. That is no big because I know that lots of kids memorize stories that are read to them. David and I especially giggle when Reagan corrects us if we mess up while reading a story. The other day he was reciting (while sitting on the potty!!!!) part of
Pirate Pete ~~ "Gold put the twinkle in Pirate Pete's eye, the shine in his hook, and the sparkle in his smile." But then he said, "Watch this!" And said, "Bold but the binkle in Birate Bete's by, the bine in his book, and the barkle in his bile!"

How cool is that? Don't you think it takes some brain cells to not only recite a line in a book but also change the first letter of the main words to the same letter?? And he'll do it with normal sentences with different letters~~like all m's or all s's! He started doing this after Grandmother bought him
Runny Babbit. And now he likes to call all things and people their "runny babbit" name. (Example: silly book is billy sook)


2. Reagan's friends seem to have been saying "I love you" to their parents for a long time. Years even. And I was always a bit sad that Reagan didn't say it. I just thought that it was his personality...which is way off from mine where I NEED to be told that. Yep, I'm needy.

Several months ago Reagan started to tell us that he loves us. Mostly at bedtime. And then it started to be any time and all the time! I am THRILLED!! And now our conversations are something like this:

Me: I love you.
Reagan: I love you, too.
M: Ah, thank you. I do love you.
R: I do love you, too.
M: I do love you, three.
R: I do love you, three. (lots of giggles)
M: I do love you, four.
R: I do love you, four.
M: I do love you, one hundred.
R: I do love you, one hundred.
M: I do love you, a quadrillion million.
R: (laughing) That isn't a word! I do love you, a quadrillion million.



3. Reagan is a bit obsessive lately about favorite colors. His is yellow. Mine is green. David's is red. Everything is about "Is that your favorite color, Mommy?" while pointing at something, anything, green. "Yes." This goes on for a couple of minutes. And it happens about 1,372 times a day.


4. This almost deserves it's own post. Because I find it to be one of the best things that David has ever said to me.

I was talking to David about Reagan's personality, and how I don't think I can describe it. We talked about shy, outgoing, silly. All kinds of adjectives, but I still don't think I could write down the description to his personality. And I was telling him that one of my friends says her son #1 has her personality and son #2 has her husband's personality. And David said, "Reagan has your personality." Wow! That is such a huge compliment. David thinks that Reagan gets his silliness and ability to giggle at all things from me. Maybe he does, and I hope that I am perceived the way I see Reagan. Just fun and loving and able to not be too serious about all things.

(And needy. Ok, that isn't so positive.)

On the same note, and something else I want to document, I really enjoy the nights that it is my turn to put Reagan to bed. We'll read a book in bed, say our prayers, charge the stars (ok, long story to that one), and then we'll cuddle. And sometimes while cuddling we both look into each other's eyes and just get the full-out giggles!!!! We start laughing at nothing. At each other. And we can't stop.

I love it.

4 comments:

Mommy said...

Tommy and I sing a song....it goes something like this....
I love yooooouuuuuu
I love yooooouuuuuu
We're stuck like GLUE
We love Daddy TOOOOO
But I love you MMMOOOOOORRRREEEE
Someday you'll be FOOOOUUUURRRR
But I'll still love YOOOOOUUUUUU
Over and over and over

And your child is smart - because I can't even READ Runny Babbit without saying words correctly!

Unknown said...

I love your bedtime routine to just giggle - feels good doesn't it!? The switching of letters is very cool! And yes, David's compliment was AWESOME!

rebekca said...

I want to get that runny babbit book!

I'm glad you posted this post. and we've got to get together to go to that sprinkler park thingy. I've been crazy busy looking for childcare and I'm sure the kids would enjoy the break.

Anonymous said...

Loving that, good info! If you get a unplanned quit by means of because we obtain a supplementary free training program seeing that those looking to start their own internet charge online,..
[IMG]http://www.sedonarapidweightloss.com/weightloss-diet/34/b/happy.gif[/IMG]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/6.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/7.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/8.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/9.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/10.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/11.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/12.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/13.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/17.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.cpcstorm.com/co/images/18.gif[/img]