Pretty Close to the Tree

Friday, June 13, 2008

Two years ago at Christmas I received the strangest gift from my husband. So strange that I thought "after 16 years, this man has no idea who I am". He gave me cookie cutters, a rolling pin, and a cookie sheet. I don't think I have EVER made cookies like this. Not even as a child. My mom knew what she was doing when we didn't bake cookies together.


Today I tackled a cookie making project with my son who was dying to have ghost cookies and bat cookies. (That in itself is a whole different story.)

I tackled the project, but I was the one that was found on the bottom of the heap in the end. Under a huge pile of flour. I didn't know I had flour in my house. But I do...two bags worth! Who knew??

I was excited and even had Reagan put on shorts so that I could take pictures for the blog! Our first cooking partnership! How fun!!

Not quite.

I did buy a mix that I needed to add softened(???) butter and an egg. We did that, but I guess my butter wasn't soft enough because that sucker was hard to stir! So then I just plopped some of the dough onto my foil lined counter top. I was smart enough to know to add some of that just found flour to the foil, but apparently you need more than just a sprinkle. Dough was stuck to everything~~the foil, the rolling pin, my hands, my nose, the counter tops. Everything but Reagan since I wouldn't let him get near it in fear that he might create a mess!

Once 1/2 the bag of flour had been used, I rolled out the dough and had Reagan cut the shapes that he had chosen from our 101 cookie cutters. And those cookie cutters are never going back into that container.


I guess all of that flour wasn't enough because then the cookie dough would NOT transfer from the foil to the cookie sheet. I had to use a fork for help. So our cookies look pathetic. After about 20 minutes of this, we finally had about 10 cookies ready to be taken out of the oven.

But I was NOT ready to decorate them. They are on hold right now while Reagan naps and I recover.

I had enough dough left over to make twice as many cookies. Yeah, that dough is now in the trash OR attached to that rolling pin. That contained mess in the kitchen sink took up my entire kitchen island, the counter near the oven, and my floor a few minutes ago.

Reagan and I did share an airplane cookie. It was horrible. The airplane is also in the trash. So I'm recuperating with this instead:
The poor kid put on shorts for no reason. I had no time, nor no clean fingers, to get a picture of him pressing down a cookie cutter.












4 comments:

Jenny said...

I hear ya.
We made Jason a father's day shirt today (shhh, it's a surprise) and those 4 little handprints were enough to un-nerve me.
I need a maid.....

Megan said...

Luckily Reagan probably won't remember the taste of the cookies. He will only remember spending time doing something fun with his Mommy.

Mommy said...

That is what bakeries are for. They make AWESOME cookies! And they're SO worth the cost!!!

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Megan - it wasn't the result that mattered. It was the quality time doing something fun and new together. Sometimes things don't turn out the way we plan, but if you ask Reagan in a couple weeks if he enjoyed making cookies - I bet his answer will at least be a nod, yes!!