My Grandaddy

Saturday, December 15, 2007

December 30, 2006

After a relatively long process, my grandaddy passed away early Sunday morning. As you can see, the above picture was taken just about one year ago, which amazes me what can happen to a person in a short period of time.

As my mom said, we were all prepared, but we're never really ready for something like this. The GREAT news is that we know he is back with my grandmother right now~~and I'm sure she was getting very impatient!

Grandmother and Grandaddy had a wonderful love, and I always hope to mirror that in my relationship with David. At our wedding Grandmother gave us some great advice. After being married for years and years, she said the secret to a happy marriage is giving each other a kiss before bedtime every night. It is a warm image to think about Grandaddy leaning over to Grandmother every single night and giving her a gentle kiss and saying "goodnight".

I love my grandaddy very much. I have wonderful memories of him~~spending some time during the summers with him in DC; how tall he always seemed to me, especially when we hugged "hello"; the way he always wore a hat (mostly a baseball cap perched high on top of his head); his love of gardening (yummy cucumbers); his woodworking skills; the oldest Aggie in my family (WHOOP!); his quiet, yet very funny, sense of humor; the way everyone seemed to love him and think of him as their own grandaddy!

I love you, Grandaddy. Give Grandmother a hug for me and Reagan and David!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great memories you have of your Grandaddy. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Love,
Suzi

Anonymous said...

You do have some wonderful memories...and a great picture to show Reagan in the future. I'm sorry, and hope you guys are doing well. I will write more soon.

Unknown said...

What a great memoire of your granddaddy!! I'm sorry for your loss and I'm glad that you have contentment knowing that he is back with the love of his life!

emily said...

What a lovely tribute to a wonderful man. I know he is very proud of you and of the family you are building!